Thursday, August 12, 2010

CLOTHES DO MAKE THE MAN



THIS IS MY MAN! Just look at him--- on his bike and ready to conquer the world--or at least the neighborhood. I surprised Lee with this bike for his birthday. Well the surprise was just that I was getting it for him. Clearly I didn't pick it out by myself---isn't a bike one of the most personal things a man must pick out for himself? So off we went to the bike store. Who knew! Bikes and helmets and shorts and shirts and gloves. This was going to be a long afternoon. But not so. This bike "spoke" to Lee right away. Off he went to the parking lot to give it a test ride. I couldn't look. (Some of you know how Lee drives a car...). But he came back healthy and happy (no "incidents" in the parking lot). This was the bike for him! No doubt about it. So then we had to find a biking outfit. Again, this, too, took no time at all. Lee went straight for the Chicago shirt---isn't that where the Cubs are from!! And all the rest just fell into place. I've never seen a man spend so much money so quickly.
Now I must admit I did have my concerns. Yes, he had been on a bike before, but when all you do is swing a golf club---well I have to say that I didn't know how his legs would work. I happily take back my fears. He is a biking maniac! He rides on the streets, on the bike paths, in the forest preserves, and through the neighborhoods of Naperville. And while he is drenching in sweat when he arrives home, he has yet to come back with any cuts, scrapes or dog bites. Lee, I'm very proud of you---and of myself: isn't it every wife's dream to find her husband the perfect birthday present! (see p.73 of Fascinating Womanhood...)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. He does look spiffy! Alberto Contador ain't got nothin' on Lee! Tell him to be defensive however; I have had two MAJOR wipeouts over the handlebars of my bike leaving me with an emergency trip to the doctor, a sprained (nearly broken) arm and tons of road rash. Glad to see him wearing a good helmet! I hope he loves it so much he would marry it if he could. :) Great shopping, Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at him! Your darling Leo. Who knew he was riding bikes? Not me!

    ReplyDelete