Saturday, August 7, 2010

THE STAFF OF (MY) LIFE

I NEED TO GO ON A DIET!HAVE to go on a diet. I SHOULD go on a diet. I even really WANT to go on a diet.  But there is just one thing keeping me from it: BREAD! I love bread!  I adore bread! In Italy I lived half a block from a Paneria (bread store).  I was in heaven.  I just can't give it up.  Every morning I have toast--Pane Turano.  With butter. Two slices. (sometimes more). At Panera, for lunch, I order a cup of soup, with the bread roll, and then I just eat the roll!  What is better than a snack-- of toast??  I recently learned how to make rustic Italian bread--the big round kind just like the picture--in an iron skillet at 500 degrees.  I had to give it up!  I wouldn't share with anyone, and you can imagine what that meant. Correct!  Plenty of pounds. But.... luckily I wear full shirts.  So why am I worried! Gotta go...I hear the toaster popping up.  YUMMMMM!            

11 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh, this post made me sooooo HUNGRY!! Thanks a lot!

    Hmmm...I think I see a connection between your last post and this one. Did you realize that if you take away the "b" in "bread," it spells, "read?" Maybe that's why you love bread so much!! It helps you to "b" well "read"!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so hoping you would make the connection! Atta boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love this post! And look at all your readers! Isn't it so fun??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found you! And ... yum. I'd love a piece, but I decided to diet this summer ... and have been very successful. No fat, no carbs, no refined sugars. Please have a loaf of your yummy bread for me! Hugs. Corin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, look at you go! Congratulations, it's a . . . blog!!! If I could, I would pass you a chocolate cigar :) I'll be following and reading every post.

    In my perfect world I would be in an awesome book club with both you and Lisa! And at the end of the book club discussion, you would teach me how to make your rustic Italian bread, and Lisa would share her apron pattern with me. Absolutely perfect, no?

    Great job, Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne, the tribe has spoken and they all want you to post your recipe for the rustic Italian bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, here is how to make the Rustic Italian bread: (so, so easy)
    Go to: no-knead bread on the Internet.
    I like the New York Times recipe. Also see Steamy Kitchen Recipes--so easy a 4-yr.old can do it. There are pictures to guide you along with both. I use corn meal (you'll know when) and a cast iron dutch oven--10" diameter, 4 qt. (Lodge) Do the 18 hour rise. Buon Apetito!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love bread too. I bought Rick a book for Christmas called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. He is still working on the taste.

    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto to Deon's comments! Warm bread and good books with fun friends! Heaven! Your rustic bread is the bread I learned to make on the island of Malta--40 miles south of Sicily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne,
    HRH mbs is my good friend and now she is your good friend! Isn't blogland fabulous??!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanne, I love reading your blog and seeing all the cute pictures of your family. You are the most creative individual I know...really and truly... not kidding at all. Actually, lately, I have felt guilty about the Ellie Rose books because, I know you wrote them and I just took a lot of the credit. I am such a looser and I am very, very sorry. I think that's why you hate me. Admit it... this is true, huh?

    ReplyDelete